Stuff happened - big stuff like my attending/graduating from culinary school and the birth of my adorable nieces. But for the most part, it was an industrious, career-centric type of year that leaves little to report on in my highly anticipated end-of-the-year reflection post.
To be honest, at the end of a long work day, my productivity for the rest of the night was limited to cleaning out my DVR list. I developed many close relationships over the year, but in retrospect, they were mostly with fictional characters like Ted Mosby, Sheldon Cooper, or Rachel Berry, and they were invariably one-sided.
That said, there's a lot of pressure fixed around the New Year to reinvent yourself and become a better person than you were less than 24 hours ago.
Over the past few days I've flirted with different resolutions in my head. Like stop getting sucked into idle time vacuums such as Facebook news feeds, neck-and-neck online Scrabble games, the Yahoo! homepage, and washing my hair everyday - which according to my hairstylist, aka the girl assigned to cut my hair one time, you should do every other day (I'm totally embracing this as it involves improving my health, my budget, and the environment simply by doing one less thing).
Or like making a point to eat more home-cooked meals that take less than 10 minutes to prepare, cost less than a fast-food run, are good for my arteries and my waistline, and actually taste good, too. In my own delusional way, I'm still convinced this is possible and I'm going to make millions once I figure it out.
So how did I spend New Years day? Certainly not sleeping in until 11am, roasting a chicken for lunch, eating said chicken, then reading a book until waking up in a face-plant on the bed with my book strewn somewhere on the floor in order to attend a movie where I munched on deep-fried delights and downed a martini (well, half of one) and a bag of popcorn, then returned home to finish the book I had attempted to read earlier in the day. (As Tina Fey would say, the feeling you are experiencing right now is jealousy).
I'm thinking productivity can wait until January 2nd, or better yet, January 3rd when I return to work. I have grand plans for making 2012 the most awesome year ever, involving plenty of self-improvement schemes and funtivities that include actual social interaction, but more on that later.
So let me raise the remainder of my half-consumed martini from earlier this evening --
-- to 2011 2012 (since, like every year, it's going to take us forever to remember to write 12 instead of 11. But in my case I don't have that many checks to write or papers to turn in so I should be good to go).
oo,

Btw... your title got me, your martini looks delicious too.
ReplyDeletehaha...I was totally in suspense waiting for this. Ask Claire - it's true. :) My stylist said the same thing about hair washing...super exciting for people like me.
ReplyDelete