At one point in my life, tofu ranked among my top five "unpalatable foods," right up there with lima beans and my grade school cafeteria's "ham-patty" sandwiches. In other words, I thought it was pretty gross.
But after living in South Korea for a year, my perspective on tofu completely "one-eightied." (Lima beans are still pretty gross, though.)
When left on its own, tofu tastes bland and lifeless, but when paired with something like a sauce or dressing, it easily absorbs all that flavor and becomes savory and delicate.
In South Korea, they like to eat tofu in a variety of ways. My favorite is pan-seared with a hot chili-garlic soy sauce dripping over the top:
This recipe is easy, affordable, fast, and flavorful. I copied it from my favorite Korean cooking blog, Maangchi.
First and foremost, I recommend you develop a taste for tofu. If you grew up in Asia or a health-conscious family, then good for you! You probably have an advantage here. I buy this Korean brand because it is conveniently split in half (since my husband won't touch tofu with a ten-foot pole so I am left to eat it on my own here):
But, really, any brand will do. Drain the tofu, then cover it with a paper towel to absorb some of the excess moisture.
Set this aside while you make the sauce.
Place 2 tablespoons of chopped green onions in a bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
Add one minced garlic clove (I used a garlic press):
Add 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey.
Add 1 teaspoon of chili flakes.
I used this Korean brand, but you can use any kind of chili flakes you want.
Next add sesame oil (not pictured). The recipe called for 2 teaspoons, but I only added one since it tends to be overpowering.
Now slice the tofu into 1/2-inch thick squares.
Season the tofu with salt and pepper and sear them on medium-high heat in 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
They are finished when both sides are golden brown.
Drain the tofu onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil, then line them up on your plate.
Spoon the chili-garlic soy sauce over the tofu.
Enjoy on top of some steamed rice.
Happy eating! :)
oo,

Looks delish
ReplyDeleteMade this tonight and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you liked it!
Delete