Sunday, January 16, 2011

Orange Salad with Candied Zest


One of my favorite dishes I've made so far at LAC is this simple, yet flavorful orange salad with candied orange zest.

It's made by first peeling the zest from the orange (trickier than it sounds as it requires peeling only the outer orange of the skin and leaving the bitter white part behind).  Here are the remnants of my attempt:


Then you blanch the zest and boil in a sugar/water mixture to sweeten it and create an orange-infused simple syrup:


To serve, drizzle the syrup over the orange and top with the candied zest and some delicate strands of basil.  It's the perfect combination of flavor, simplicity, and elegance :)


oo,

3 comments:

  1. YUM. You can make this for me any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to try this someday! Did you take the picture at school or did you remake it at home? Or was it your homework?

    ReplyDelete
  3. made it at home for fun because it's so simple and requires only a few ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...