Monday, October 25, 2010

Hearty Autumn Salad


This is my attempt at creating a hearty autumn salad.  Basically it's 'meat and potatoes' meets a bed of spinach (my kind of salad).  Look how the toppings weigh the spinach down in the picture.  It can't even breathe.

Admittedly this salad is kind of high-maintenance as it takes awhile to prepare, but most of that time is just time in the oven waiting for the vegetables to roast.  Here's what I did:

Toppings  (add however much you want of each)
Steak, thinly sliced (I used leftover London Broil Steak which I had broiled in the oven for dinner the night before)
Potato, cubed
Beets, cubed
Butternut Squash, cubed
Walnuts
Pear, thinly sliced
Baby Spinach
Thyme (I used fresh, but dried is OK too)
Lemon
Olive Oil

Season the potatoes, butternut squash, and beets with salt, pepper, olive oil, thyme, and lemon juice, then pop them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until they are soft on the inside and golden on the outside.  Then, toast the walnuts at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.  Pile all of these on top of a bed of baby spinach along with some thinly sliced pear and steak.  Top with homemade dressing (ingredients below).

If I had either mozzarella or bleu cheese on hand, this would have been added as well!  But sadly I did not.

Homemade Dressing (I don't recall specific amounts, but here is a guess):
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Honey
1/3 cup Olive Oil
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Pinch of Salt & Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme
Squeeze of Lemon
1 clove Garlic

Throw everything in a blender until smooth and slightly thickened.

oo,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...