Up until college, I had always hated fish. Well, seafood in general. Yes, that includes crab, shrimp, clam chowder... even fish sticks. When I was a child, the nights we were eating fish sticks were the nights I most yearned for a family dog so that I could slip it my fish sticks under the table. Instead, I had to settle for surreptitiously throwing them under the table when my mother wasn't looking, ideally around where my brothers sat.
I'm not sure why I hated seafood so much. Maybe it stemmed from growing up in the Midwest. Obviously I never had that problem with steak. For whatever reason, during college I got over my aversion to seafood and started embracing it. Lately my favorite seafood dish to prepare is salmon. Not only does it have great health benefits (Omega-3's, vitamin D...) but it's easy to make and tastes good with just the simplest seasonings.
Usually I like to buy the pre-marinated salmon from Trader Joe's. All you do is pop it in the oven and set the timer. Also, they always have a good, affordable selection of wild salmon there (I heard a story from my coworker once about farm-raised fish and since then I always opt for the wild variety).
This week, however, I decided to try my own marinade using a recipe provided in my Recipe Scrapbook: Lime and Ginger Grilled Salmon. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of it but it ended up tasting really good -- just as good if not better than TJ's. I didn't even have to throw it under the table where Patrick sits.
Here is the recipe if anyone is interested in trying it:
Lime and Ginger Grilled Salmon
2 lb salmon fillet
2 T fresh ginger, minced
2 T lime zest
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 T butter or olive oil
1/2 t lime juice
Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Sprinkle salmon with ginger, lime, zest, salt, and pepper. Combine rest of ingredients and brush on salmon. Grill about 5 minutes or until salmon flakes.
Here's what I actually did: I used 2 one-portion salmon fillets that I bought frozen and defrosted in the refrigerator overnight. I just threw all of the ingredients in a plastic bag and left it in the fridge for about an hour (though it probably only needed about 10 minutes or so). Since I don't have a grill, I used a grill pan set to medium heat. I cooked the salmon about 2-3 minutes on each side and served it with a side of broccoli couscous and a salad.
Sidenote about broccoli couscous: This is another dish that is easy to make and also very healthy. I used whole wheat couscous and followed the instructions on the box, but used chicken stock instead of water for added flavor. I also took a head of broccoli and instead of cutting it into chunks, I cut off all of the stem and shredded the tops so they were like broccoli confetti the same size as the tiny couscous grains. I mixed it in with the boiling stock right before adding the couscous.

oo,
Sidenote about Cherry Coke: Also delicious with broccoli couscous.
ReplyDeleteThat would have been funny though...if you threw your salmon under the table where Patrick sits and then you blamed him for wasting the salmon. Because that wouldn't make any sense at all. Baahhh-hahahahaha.
ReplyDeleteIt's Thursday...