Monday, November 1, 2010

Cupcakes: Beyond the Birthday


I could just post this picture with the heading "Pumpkin Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting" and enough would be said.  Mission accomplished.

But actually I do have something to say about cupcakes.  Besides the fact that they are perfectly packaged, portable pieces of cake with a paper lining on the sides and a layer of frosting on top to keep it moist at all times, they are everywhere nowadays... and not just at children's birthday parties.  What's with that?

While traditionally DC is not known for anything like Chicago for its deep dish pizza or Philadelphia for its cheesesteaks, lately DC has been all about the burgers and the cupcakes.  One has only to look at the ever-expanding Five Guys Burger and Fries franchise (which originated in Arlington, VA) and the ridiculously long queue outside Georgetown Cupcakes (thanks to their recent exposure on TLC's show "DC Cupcakes") for proof of this.  Also President Obama has been known to frequent Ray's Hell Burger, where he even took the Russian President for lunch one day.

So far Patrick and I have tried cupcakes from at least 7 bakeries in the area:
  • Cake Love
  • Red Velvet
  • Pastry Xpo (pumpkin cupcake pictured above)
  • Georgetown Cupcakes
  • Hello Cupcake
  • Lavendar Moon Cupcakery
  • Something Sweet
It's hard to rate them when everyone has different criteria for the "perfect cupcake" all ranging in size, frosting consistency, amount of frosting, flavors, moisture content, level of sweetness, crumb, cost...  For me, as long as the cupcake is moist, it's a good bet.

If I were forced to choose a favorite, I actually would say Georgetown Cupcake, although my decision might be based on the fact that it was a beautiful day and we went on a relaxing walk around the Georgetown Waterfront when we were eating them...  I probably wouldn't stand in the impossibly long line for one nowadays just because I'm impatient like that (we went before all of the TV hype).  Also many have complained that their cupcakes are too small for what you pay, but I say it's quality, not quantity.

Our experiences in tasting DC burgers have not been quite as plentiful.  We've tried Five Guys Burger and Fries, Rogue States: A Burger Grilling Company and Ray's Hell Burger.  Still on my list to try are Good Stuff Eatery, BGR: The Burger Joint, and Palena.  Somehow I don't think Patrick will have any problems hitting them up with me :)

Among all of the places to get amazing burgers and cupcakes around here, somehow DC is also recognized for being the fittest city in America.  How do they manage?

oo,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...